Friday, November 9, 2012

I am late getting my novel out.  I will be working on that but I haven't really been accomplishing much lately.  I kind of feel like I'm treading water.

I did, however, fix a delicious meal tonight.  It needed a green vegetable to go with it but I am really happy with it.

Italian Sausage and Mashed Rutabaga and Potato Casserole

1 lb Italian Sausage
1 Rutabaga
3 Yukon Gold Potatoes
8 oz sharp cheddar
1.5 T butter
3/4 c. heavy cream

Peel and cut rutabaga into chunks, and then cook in boiling water for 40 minutes.  Meanwhile, peel and dice potatoes, and after the 40 minutes, add to rutabaga and boil for another 20 minutes.  During that 20 minutes, cook the sausage.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Drain potatoes and rutabaga, and put in casserole dish (I mashed mine right in that dish, adding the butter and the cream).  Add cooked sausage and 1/2 the cheese and mix together.  Top with remaining cheese and bake for 30 minutes, until top is browned.

I'm not really crazy about Italian sausage because of the fennel, but this dish was really good.

This week I also made an onion cheese tart, but it needs tweaking, and also a pear pie, which also didn't turn out quite right but I'm going to try a different recipe tomorrow.  I think it just didn't cook long enough.  The new recipe suggests using brown sugar instead of white and that sounds intriguing.

I  decided to start swaddling Nick again because he was waking up too frequently.  He's doing much better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment