Thursday, April 4, 2013

D-Depression


I suffer from depression.  It is more or less under control, I think, but sometimes I wonder if that is why my house is such a mess and why I have little motivation.  In high school it was the worst, and then I've had a couple of bouts of situational depression.  Nothing post-partum, though.
I know that exercise helps make me feel better, and lack of money makes me feel worse.  I kind of feel like I get into a rut and I am not sure how to get out of it, not necessarily relating to my depression but to life in general.
I feel like I should know steps to take to improve my situation, since I have gone through cognitive-behavioral therapy, but it is very easy for me to backslide.
However, I'm working on things.  I don't feel like life is awful.  I don't have trouble enjoying things daily.  I can tell what things are irritants to me (like Facebook!) and I try to focus on good things.
I think it works better for me if I make lists so I can check off what I've done.
I do try to keep an eye out for symptoms of depression in myself, but I sometimes wonder if I'm so far into it that I can't see it.  Right now I am not feeling so great about myself but I am being kind to myself and I don't think everything sucks.
I used to be the gloomy Eeyore person in my family but now I have to be the positive person because my husband wins at being Eeyore and both of us can't be dismal doom and gloomers.

2 comments:

  1. well i'm glad you are managing. my mom has it but refuses to find a new dr. she moved from her old one and when looking for a new one they all tried things on her instead of using what worked... its tough and i cant imagine how tough!

    hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I'm sorry about your mom. I have been fortunate in that talk therapy and no meds has worked for me so I haven't had to go through trying all the different meds and doses to figure out what works.

      Delete