Friday, April 12, 2013

K-Kaufman


Kaufman is my middle name.  I was not given a middle name at first.  Then, after my mom adopted my sister, she decided she was going to change her last name back to Kaufman and she wanted to use Hevener as her middle name, and I added Kaufman as my middle name.

The Kaufman family is pretty amazing.  Out of all of my relatives, they are my favorites.  All of my mom's exes seemed to be more in love with her family than with her.   (By exes I mean ex-boyfriends as well as ex-husbands--she has two of those.)

Max (my older son) is a Kaufman through and through.  He looks like my grandfather and my uncle, and he has the body type too.  I have the Kaufman legs.

I don't know a huge amount about my grandparents and their parents.  My grandfather was a Lithuanian Jew, but I don't know any details about why his family moved here.  He and my grandmother both went to Penn.  My grandfather was a social worker and my grandmother was a teacher for at least some time, I think.  They were instrumental in making their neighborhood one of the first integrated neighborhoods in Philadelphia.  They were also Communists, but I don't think that was widely publicized.

My uncle took Biden's place as Delaware's Senator for two years.  He has three daughters and they are all a fair amount older than I am.  I don't see them as often as I'd like but it is always fun when we all get together.

My mom also has two sisters.  One of them has a son who attends college here where I am.  I used to babysit her two kids when I was at UVa.  I have a lot of fond memories of doing that.

I love my family and I am proud to be a Kaufman.

No comments:

Post a Comment