Tuesday, April 23, 2013

T-Trains



Max is a big train fan.  I really like trains as well.  I wish trains were more prevalent in the U.S.  I would take the train almost anywhere if I could.  We took the train up to Philadelphia for fun last year, and Max had a blast.  We got a bedroom and my mom and Max slept on the bottom and I slept up top.
When I was little my mom and I would take the train down to West Palm Beach to visit my grandparents.  It was so much fun!  I remember we'd have to go down town to the train station in the middle of the night.  The Adluh Flour sign would blink on and off while we waited.  It seems like the train was often delayed.  Then it would show up, we'd get on and go to our room (we always got a roomette) and go to sleep.  In the morning we'd go to the dining car and have French toast, and I'd look out at the palm trees that showed that we were in Florida.  It was always cold in Columbia when we'd set off on our trip, and then we'd get to Florida and it would be nice and warm.
A few times over spring break a friend and I would make the same trip on the train, but I think that once we just went coach.  That wasn't quite as much fun but it was okay.
The trip to Philadelphia was a lot like the old trips to Florida, but the train station isn't in the heart of down town anymore, and we went from cold to colder on our journey.  The train station in Philly is beautiful.  I think it's sad that we've gone from that to the blandness of airports.  I like flying, but airports kind of suck.  There's something exciting about being in a train station and waiting for the train to arrive.


1 comment:

  1. I love this post. It makes me want to go on a train ride and brings back memories of going down to FL with you (though I think we always flew?) - Eleanor

    ReplyDelete