Saturday, April 27, 2013

W-Writing


I say I am a writer when people ask me what I do.  I wonder though.  Am I a writer or a SAHM?  I mean, I don't really like to say that I'm a stay at home mom because the implication is that I'm not working otherwise.  And do I count as a writer when I'm not really doing anything that is turning a profit at the moment?
I think I count as a writer even though right now I'm not writing as much as I want to or feel like I should be doing.  I'm not sure what is going on with that.  What is causing this lack of inspiration?  It's this lack that makes me wonder if I'm depressed.
I remember in college I'd stay up all night writing.  I'd drink orange juice and type away on my Brother word processor, filling up files really quickly.  The disks didn't hold all that much, and the files were small too.  Maybe eleven pages of single spaced words?  I don't remember now.  I wonder if I managed to print out all of that stuff because I don't have my word processor anymore.  I really loved that thing until my mom lent me her laptop and I discovered the joy of writing in bed.
I started out writing in longhand but I type so much more quickly than I can write.  I have tons of empty notebooks that I'd like to fill but I am not writing in them.  I like pens.  I don't always like my handwriting and that is part of why I don't write in my notebooks.
I'd like to write more.  I'd like to write every day and I know I just need to do it.  Right now I'm dealing with lack of sleep not by choice, and I'm not sure what else.  I should just stop making excuses because the fact of the matter is, I'm just not making writing the priority that it should be if I really want to say I'm a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment